Human resources are the key piece in the management of a project. Today we will see how to manage this fundamental human factor in an efficient way.
What does it mean to manage human resources in a project?
Project management involves the promotion, planning, organization, control and evaluation of resources in order to achieve one or more specific objectives.
If we talk about the management of human resources in a project, we will be referring to all the processes that plan, recruit, select, train, organize, manage, lead and evaluate the team of a certain initiative. This management encompasses the following ten areas of action:
- Planification and organization.
- Description and assessment of jobs.
- Recruitment and staff selection. Attract staff and choose the best profiles.
- Career plans and professional promotion.
- Training and qualification.
- Performance evaluation.
- Working environment.
- Labor relations, with the workers’ interlocutors.
- Personnel administration (preparation of payroll, payment of personal income tax, etc.).
- Prevention of occupational hazards.
Managing projects efficiently is not easy, but if we succeed, it will be very possible for us to achieve excellence in project execution and results.
Tips for project management from the point of view of human resources
– Have proper planning and scheduling: how many people will the project need, of what profile, for how long, etc. To plan and schedule well, you’re recommended to use staff rota software.
– Attract talent for the project, recruiting and selecting the most suitable profiles. Knowing where to look for candidates, using social networks and other alternative places, working on the brand image and knowing if we have employees already in the company that we can promote are some of the issues to assess at this point. In addition to considering the competencies of the position required by the project, it is also interesting to see the fit of possible candidates in the corporate culture and values.
– Make a good reception and a correct initial training plan, which can include, among others, a good initial mentoring for example. Make new workers aware of the organization, department or area of which they will be part and, of course, the project in which their daily effort will be circumscribed. Adapt their training level to the requirements of the project, both at the time of their incorporation and throughout their stay in the organization.
– Promote good information and communication channels among the members of the project team. Among other issues, it is usually very beneficial for the entire team to know its objectives, timing and priorities, not just the part that is in charge of leading and directing it. Involving workers in the achievement of objectives goes hand in hand with fluid communication.
– Encourage and facilitate teamwork, alliances between members and the fluid communication that we already mentioned in the previous point. Cooperation is essential for the proper functioning of the group. It is about looking for the strengths of each member, combining skills that make the group more powerful than the sum of the individualities, ultimately creating synergies. In addition, it would be interesting to manage the team in the most democratic way possible, where everyone can propose and make their voice heard. Teamwork has a positive impact on employee motivation and commitment.
– Attend to the needs and motivations of the team, whether they are training, work or personal. It not only means attending to the development of the person, but also to being able to have conciliation policies, flexibility, social benefits, etc.
– Introduce performance evaluations that help us to know how the person is developing, if they achieve the objectives, what obstacles they encounter, how to improve their performance, etc. An evaluation that is always positive and that accompanies the personal and professional growth of the worker and the team.
– Facilitate work by objectives and by tasks or activities, since it is more motivating, especially in the context of managing a project.
– To promote a good work environment, where people feel comfortable working and have a good image of their organization, with which they feel aligned in objectives, strategies and values.
– And finally, select a good leader who knows how to bring out the best in his team, who influences it in a positive way and accompanies it to success.