THE COMING long weekend ushers in the spooky season. Whether hosting a Halloween get-together with family and friends, or eyeing a much-awaited me-time horror movie marathon, a refreshing drink is the ideal partner.
In a nod to the jack-o-lantern tradition, bar expert Gioseppe Racelis created the Caramel Pumpkin Pietini. A blood curdling fusion of vodka and pumpkin puree, the concoction promises a touch of grim in celebration of the supernatural.
“With vodka, there is the warmth and kick for warding off the cold and the unknown,” he explained. “The cinnamon gives a hint of flavor and aroma, evoking the cozy yet festive mood.”
With over 13 years of experience in the industry and a holder of a Level 2 Certification on Wine & Spirit Education Trust (WSET), the former Assistant Food and Beverage Manager of Discovery Suites Manila understands that grown-ups, too, deserve a treat this All Hallow’s Eve.
“The caramel syrup adds a sweet and sticky twist — reminiscent of candies,” said the De La Salle-College of Saint Benilde (DLS-CSB) School of Hotel, Restaurant, and Institution Management (SHRIM) educator.
Pumpkin Melody, an original mocktail by aspiring bartender and Benilde SHRIM Hospitality Management major Sheila Marie Cervantes Sih, capitalizes on the immunity boost of the same fruit.
“It contains a variety of vitamins that can fend off the common cold,” she explained. “When blended with comforting cinnamon and ginger, we find ourselves savoring a delicious, healthy, and filling delight that everyone can enjoy.”
For those who are looking for more gloom and doom, the two-time champion of the Young Hotelier Exposition’s Creative Cocktail Competition suggests Nightmarish Rose — her personal homage to Morticia Addams of the classic Addams Family.
“I was utterly captivated by her monochromatic elegance,” she shared. “It was this fascination that inspired me to create the mixture.”
The cocktail highlights the sweetness of strawberries, the delicate flavor of roses, and with an added touch of activated charcoal, stands true to the Addams’ signature hue.
1 of 3
Caramel Pumpkin Pietini by Gio RacelisIngredients:
45 ml vanilla vodka
30 ml pumpkin puree
30 ml caramel syrup
30 ml full cream milk
Dash of cinnamon for garnish
1. In a shaker, add all the ingredients and shake vigorously without ice.
2. Strain and serve in a martini glass rimmed with caramel syrup.
3. Garnish with a dash of cinnamon on top.
Pumpkin Melody by Sheila Marie Cervantes SihIngredients:
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp pumpkin puree
½ tsp cinnamon powder
½ tsp ground ginger
2 cups dairy of choice
1 cinnamon stick
Whipped cream for garnish
1. In a pot, heat your dairy. Do not bring it to a boil.
2. Add the pumpkin puree, spices, and honey. Whisk it well.
3. Allow it to simmer to reach a creamy consistency.
4. Pour in your favorite mug.
5. Garnish with whipped cream, cinnamon powder, and a cinnamon stick.
Nightmarish Rose Cocktail by Sheila Marie Cervantes Sih
Rose Simple Syrup Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
½ tsp of rose water
60 ml strawberry-infused gin
15 ml lemon juice
1 egg white
½ tsp of activated charcoal powder
For the rose syrup:
1. Heat the sugar and water in a pot and stir until the sugar dissolves.
2. Turn off the heat.
3. Allow the syrup to slightly cool before adding rose water. Be careful, as rose water is quite strong.
For the cocktail:
1. In a shaker, add all the ingredients and shake vigorously.
2. Add ice and shake it once more.
3. Double strain and serve in a chilled martini glass.
4. Garnish with strawberries.